“Graphic Science produced an evaluation of our Outreach and Public Engagement work which was extremely helpful and insightful. Graphic Science were able to offer us a great deal of advice regarding effective methods of evaluation for our activities – and they were also able to help us structure our overall strategy more efficiently. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.”
Pearl John, Public Engagement Leader for Physics & Astronomy, University of Southampton
Graphic Science worked with outreach staff from Physics and Astronomy at the University of Southampton to review their provision of outreach and public engagement with a view to:
- Improving their administration and delivery
- Recommending ways in which the Unit could develop the activities they offer
- Setting in place an evaluative framework that will allow the Unit to carry forward existing and new activities that offer value for money and demonstrate impact
Physics and Astronomy already has an active and varied programme of outreach and engages with large numbers of young people each year. The School had reached a stage where they felt it was important to review and consolidate their activities and look for new opportunities for public engagement that would have reportable impact.
We worked with them to understand:
- their current portfolio of outreach activities
- how these related to university-wide initiatives
- how they were administrated; and
- how they could be placed in a broader range of public engagement
We spoke to contacts in relevant external organisations to discover possibilities for collaboration and skills sharing and developed a set of recommedations and an evaluation framework that they could use to develop strategic activities with measurable value.